For the circuit challenge I chose a textile project. I’ve never been big on textile projects and possessing only rudimentary sewing skills was a good reason to stay away from wearables. It was the little tiny LEDs that got me in the end. How could I resist their siren call? Those little tiny lights with built-in holes meant to be sewn into circuits with conductive thread. Alluring.
After rummaging around in the materials tub and scrounging up some matching pink LEDs, I set to work assembling the rest of the parts: battery, battery holder, beads, a snap, felt backing, and conductive thread. I used an example crafted by our Assistant Librarian, Caitlyn. I successfully sewed a complete circuit with only one problem. It was complete without needing the snap ends to make contact.
So, back to Caitlyn’s example to figure out where I went wrong. I ended up drawing out her circuit and mine to compare them and figure out what to re-route in mine with the least amount of sewing. Yes, I’m lazy like that.
I worked it out, pulled out some stitching and sewed in a few new places and it worked! The conductive thread is really rough, as well as rather stiff and brittle so I over-sewed the snap ends and battery holder with regular purple thread and used this same thread to sew in some beads to complete the bracelet.
Here is the finished product!